Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Let's Calculate Your BMR....You Might Be Spectacularly Suprised By The Results!




While Base Metabolic Rate (BMR) is not a perfect measurement is a the closest one you can do at home with your calculator and is at the very least a yardstick to keep you in check if your wanting to shed a few or a shittonne of pesky kilos.

If you are lazy you could just google BMR calculator and plug in some numbers and while I fully understand this is more tempting than impromptu maths, I really urge you to actually use your noggin and do the calculations below.

NOTE: many of the free calculators don’t give you the basic rate but a rate slightly higher to allow for activity levels.

Fun huh?

BMR FORMULA

Note: do the calculations inside the brackets first. See maths does come in handy later in life? Your Maths teacher was telling the truth!


Note: 1 inch = 2.54cm, 1 kilogram = 2.2lbs


For Women
BMR = 655 + (9.6 x wt in kg) + (1.8x ht in cm) – (4.7 x age in years)

For Men
BMR = 66+ (13.7 x wt in kg) + (5 x ht in cm) – (6.8 x age in years)


Ok so now you have a base figure you can go forth and multiply by the appropriate activity levels below.


Activity LevelSedentary = BMR x 1.2
Lightly Active = BMR x 1.375
Moderately Active = BMR x 1.55
Very Active = BMR x 1.725Extremely Active = BMR x 1.9

SO how did you go? Interesting stuff isn't it.

To really understand this test and also so you will think to yourself - wow, I’m so grateful for stumbling onto this terrific blog that has, in just a few short minutes, markedly changed the way I see the world - I would like you to also look up the calorie/kilojoule content of a few of the foods you regularly eat. This will help you understand, so it is all nice and crystal-like, how the energy (calories) you need and the energy (calories) you consume might just be a touch out of wack!

I remember when I did this test, it changed how I saw weight loss forever. For the first time I realised that it wasn't my hormones, genetics or a slow metabolism that was keeping me from my goals -  I ate too much food for my energy needs.

How about you? Are you going over and  above your energy needs?



No comments:

Post a Comment